The Dangers of Mold in Homes

Impact of Mold on Infrastructure

Mold grows on almost any surface on the planet but it has an especially destructive effect on organic materials. On infrastructure, mold can eat away at the organic material and leave the building unstable. One big problem with this kind of fungus is that they usually start growing in places which are not visible to the human eye such as under the floorboards, behind walls and under the sink. This means that they may have established a large colony or population before the homeowners can make arrangements for their elimination. The result of this delay can mean that the mold may have already started degrading the organic material that they are growing on such as the floorboards, the beams and the framework behind the walls.

Aside from the actual degradation of the materials, mold can also leave dark or black marks on the material that they grow on. The ceilings on houses can be marred by the growth and so will any other surface that the fungus grows on.

Impact of Mold on Health

Mold has spores that can affect the respiratory health of individuals who may have allergies. Mold spores are released by the fungus when they propagate and these may be released in areas where people often gather or occupy. Exposure to mold spores can result to hay fever-like symptoms as well as other reactions which can be such an inconvenience.

Aside from allergies, the ingestion, inhalation or even dermal contact of potentially toxic kinds of molds can also result to cancer and other diseases which can be hazardous to the health of the homeowner and other occupants of the home. Certain types of toxic mold can produce mycotoxins which contribute to health issues in human beings and other living things when exposed to it.

Aflatoxin is produced by some mold species when conditions are right. Aflatoxin is a form of carcinogenic that can be potentially dangerous to everybody. The positive side to all this is that mold production of this carcinogenic is not usual and that it takes prolonged exposure for this to be lethal to humans. This does not mean, however, there are no dangers to being exposed to what molds produce. Cancer is a serious matter that is difficult to control and manage once it has taken root in a person. Once you are positive that you have been exposed to mold and its spores, it is advisable to be checked for any health issues that the exposure may have brought.

This is not to say that exposure to molds and what they produce is not dangerous. In fact, experts agree that at the first sign of a mold infestation, steps should be taken to get rid of it.


Post time: 04-01-2017