A cable assembly is defined as a set of wires with supporting components such as a connector, handle, retention system, or shielding. Cable assemblies are used in just about any application where information or signals need to be transmitted. These components-also referred to as wire harnesses-can be found everywhere right from consumer electronics to automobiles to satellites to farm equipment.
The global market comprises several wire harness manufacturers that fulfill the demand for wire harnesses from different industrial and commercial sectors. Many of these manufacturers offer contract manufacturing services. Contract manufacturing is an arrangement wherein the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) contracts with another firm for the production of a certain component or product.
For instance, an OEM manufacturing an air craft would not manufacture components such as cable assemblies in-house because it would call for massive investment and inventory management. The aircraft maker would rather outsource the manufacturing of the cable harness to a specialist firm so as to save time and money.
Most electronic contract manufacturing firms deal with PCB assemblies, box build services, metal stamping, and equivalent component sourcing etc. Box build services include manufacturing a complete enclosure with wire harness assemblies and other sub assemblies.
Here are some defining attributes of leading contract manufacturing firms that offer the services of wire harness manufacturers:
- Only a few select firms offer a lifetime warranty on their cables. This is a veritable reflection of the high quality of products that the firm offers.
- Such firms routinely deal with original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and original design manufacturers (ODMs).
- The firm should have the ability to work with different types of wires such as copper wires, fiber optic cables, or multi-conductor wires.
- It is very important to ensure that the manufacturer offers code-compliant, UL-approved products that are manufactured in keeping with the pertinent ISO guidelines.
- Finally, you can expect full value for money if the chosen firm specializes in end-to-end services that range from design to prototype to manufacturing to quality assurance to logistical support.
Applications and uses
Custom cable assemblies are used in thousands of applications worldwide. They are required for applications such as aircraft and aerospace, consumer electronics and home appliances, robotics, office and home automation products, agricultural equipment, lighting, industrial machinery, and a lot more.
Mil-spec, RoHS compliant harnesses and assemblies are also available through certain contract manufacturing firms. High quality wire harnesses can be manufactured with the use of leading-edge tooling and machinery. In addition to dealing with OEMs and ODMs, such firms also directly take orders from distributors and re-sellers located in different parts of the world.
Thus, procuring a high quality cable assembly consignment should always be done via a reputable contract manufacturer that has a proven track record.
Post time: 05-04-2017