A Guide to Black Mold Removal

Black mold is a substance that is toxic. It may cause many health problems. Some of those problems include nausea, difficulty breathing, coughing, asthma, memory loss, urinary tract infections, dizziness, infertility, bronchitis, and death. If black mold is discovered in your home, the key to black mold removal is to stop the problem with moisture. If the relative humidity in a room is high, then consider installing a dehumidifier in that room.

If the source of moisture is a water leak or flooding from the outside, pump out all standing water as quickly as possible and get the area dry. Turn on fans and bring in a dehumidifier to get those surfaces that are soaked dried. If you dry the area quickly enough, you may avoid a mold infestation. Mold may start growing in as little as twenty-four hours, so work quickly to get the area dry. By drying the room, you may not have to deal with mold removal.

Mold is spread through spores, so be sure that you are not spreading those spores as you attempt cleanup. Mold spores travel with dust, so keep dust to a minimum. Only clean one room at a time. Seal that room off from the rest of the house before you begin cleaning. You should remove your clothing and put them in a plastic bag to take to the laundry immediately.

The room can be sealed using plastic sheeting and duct tape. Seal any opening that leads to the rest of the house, including ducts, windows and doors. Leave outside windows and doors unsealed and use a fan to exhaust the air from the room. Be sure that your HVAC is shut off before you start cleaning the mold.

Mold that is completely dry will need to be misted using water to keep spores from spreading. Clean any place you find mold growing using soap and water. Use an approved disinfectant to kill any remaining spores. Although often recommended, chlorine bleach has not been proved to kill the deadly black mold spores. Clean all surfaces, including those where you do not see mold. Spores are small and may not be visible. Once surfaces have been cleaned, be sure to dry them.

Materials that are non-porous or semi-porous can be cleaned and reused if not seriously damaged. Any materials that are greatly damaged need to be taken out and thrown away.

Any material that is mold infested need to be wrapped tightly in plastic before removing from the room. Do not take them through the house, but take them directly outside through doors or windows leading out of the room. All landfills will accept materials infested with black mold.

If you have repaired the moisture problem from your home, removed all mold and do not see any more water damage, you have successfully removed the mold from your home. The mold or mildew smell should be gone. The physical health of your family should start to improve. If the symptoms are not eliminated, then they should be greatly improved. And the relief of no mold remediation costs can’t be beat.


Post time: 06-05-2017